[asterisk-users] Why Nat=yes Nat=no Option?

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Wed Nov 12 15:29:27 CST 2008

I have done some large installs where people are going to be in the office,
sometimes out, work from home, it always changes sorta thing......

I have found that setting all device profiles to Nat=yes "Just Works"
whether they are on the LAN or not and this is even on larger scale systems
with hundreds of "phones".

Is there any reason why this would be frowned upon as a default?  Even to
the point of, if nat= is not specified, it would default to yes?

Is there a performance hit somewhere, or some other downside?

If not, I suggest making it the default.

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro