[asterisk-users] Use the NEW ulaw/alaw codecs (slower, but cleaner)

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Tue Nov 11 15:33:08 CST 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 4:19 PM, Karl Fife <karlfife at gmail.com> wrote:

>  In Asterisk 1.6, there is an option to use the 'new g.711 algorithm'.
> "Use the NEW ulaw/alaw codec's (slower, but cleaner)"
>
> By slower does this mean more 'expensive', or does it instead mean that
> there will be more algorithmic latency?  Both?  Can anyone speak to the
> relative increases?
>
> With regard to accuracy, can anyone speak to what kind of situation might
> demonstrate the benefit of the new algorithm?  i.e. transcoding, SpanDSP,
> Analog interfaces (DAHDI) etc.
>
> Thanks
> Karl

Interesting....

Alaw and Ulaw algorithms slower and cleaner?  Slower would imply problems
with FAX or whatever.

Not sure how uncompressed audio could be cleaner and why on earth one would
want it slower?

What's next?  The new, improved, under new management, SLIN?

PS, I am sure (75% anyways) that this new algorithm is good for
something.....

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro