[asterisk-users] Voicemail IMAP ./configure error

Mark Michelson mmichelson at digium.com
Mon Nov 10 14:41:35 CST 2008

c james wrote:
> I have c-client installed on a 64bit system running Gentoo.  I am trying
> to run configure so I can test the IMAP voicemail functionality. But
>
> asterisk-1.4.22 # ./configure --with-imap=/usr/include/imap
>
> just gives me the following error.
>
> checking for gnutls_bye in -lgnutls... no
> checking for UW IMAP Toolkit c-client library... no
> checking for system c-client library...... no
> configure: ***
> configure: *** The UW IMAP Toolkit installation on this system appears
> to be broken.
> configure: *** Either correct the installation, or run configure
> configure: *** including --without-imap.
>
> c-client is installed.
>
> voicemail1 asterisk-1.4.22 # equery files c-client
> [ Searching for packages matching c-client... ]
> * Contents of net-libs/c-client-2006k:
> /usr/include/imap/c-client.h
>   ... bunch of others
> /usr/include/imap/utf8aux.h
> /usr/lib64/c-client.a
> /usr/lib64/libc-client.a -> c-client.a
> /usr/lib64/libc-client.so.1.0.0

Interesting output there.

If you specify "--with-imap=/usr/src/imap" then that means that the source for
the imap toolkit is located at /usr/src/imap. It appears though, that only the
c-client source is located there (or perhaps just the headers), and that causes
the configure script to fail. If you specify just "--with-imap" with no argument
or "--with-imap=system" then the configure script will try to find the c-client
library and include files in common places where distributions tend to install them.

I'm guessing, though, that you did not download and compile the imap toolkit
yourself and that you had Gentoo do it for you. The installation directory for
the headers is different than where most distros place them. Most put the
c-client header files in /usr/include/c-client instead of /usr/include/imap.

My suggestions for possible fixes are

1) Try reconfiguring with just --with-imap or with --with-imap=system instead of
specifying a directory. I'm suspecting this will not work properly because of
the directory where the header files are, though.

2) If step 1 fails like I think it will, then try moving the .h files from
/usr/include/imap to /usr/include/c-client and rerun the configure script
--with-imap and see if that helps. I suspect this will work. If it does, I can
modify the configure script so that we search in the imap/ directory as well as
the c-client directory for header files.

If things still fail after those two steps, then respond with the section from
the config.log file which displays the failure that occurred when searching for
imap support.

Mark Michelson