[asterisk-users] Asterisk daemon dies about once per day

Tim Nelson tnelson at rockbochs.com
Mon Nov 10 11:55:45 CST 2008

We've found the Trixbox 2.6 series to be quite unstable which is why we're still running 2.4 for those installations that require Trixbox.

Having someone tell you "your daemon crashing and restarting is normal" doesn't seem very bright. Wouldn't the proper path be to find out why it is crashing? I mean seriously, if the asterisk installation at *MY* house was crashing and restarting, who cares. But *YOURS*? Thats a different story...

You should really dive into your logs to see where the problem is coming from. /var/log/asterisk/full should have what you want but you'll need to do some heavy sifting as it contains very verbose output.

Also, post this on the Trixbox forums. I'm sure someone over there can lend a hand also.

Good luck!

Tim Nelson
Systems/Network Support
Rockbochs Inc.
(218)727-4332 x105

----- "Douglas Mortensen" wrote:
> Asterisk daemon dies about once per day

I have an asterisk system where the asterisk daemon dies typically at least once per day. It is running in the wrapper safe_asterisk, which automatically starts the daemon back up. But we find this unacceptable because when the daemon dies, we usually have active calls drop, and sometimes we have to run asterisk -r -x "module reload" after the daemon starts back up before everything is working well again. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.