[asterisk-users] SPA-962 & Asterisk

Wilton Helm whelm at compuserve.com
Fri Nov 7 13:43:47 CST 2008

>The timezone only tells the system with what offset to show
>the time when asked for "local time".

>Sadly some operating systems have this strange concept that changing a
>time zone means changing the system clock itself. This makes it a huge
>change indeed.

Agreed.  The firmware I design works the same way--everything internal is in UTC.  Any application that must deal with multiple time zones by virtue of market distribution or because it shares time over a network, etc. should use UTC internally and only translate to local time.  Using a scheme such as *nix does of an integer rather than broken down field makes the translation trivial.  The hard part is deciding how to determine the translation, whether to use hard coded rules, intelligent observation or manual setup.

Wilton