[asterisk-users] tired of "midget packet received" warnings

Tim Panton thp at westhawk.co.uk
Fri Nov 7 03:29:20 CST 2008

On 7 Nov 2008, at 08:49, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 08:42:52AM -0600, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>> Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
>>
>>> When monitoring an asterisk through its iax2 port I get these
>>> warnings
>>> at the console:
>>>
>>> 	[Nov  6 13:15:15] WARNING[2209]: chan_iax2.c:7000 socket_process:
>>> midget packet received (1 of 4 min)
>>>
>>> This is triggered by the monitoring app sending a POKE to the iax
>>> port.
>>> The warning appears even without any '-v'.
>>
>> Your monitoring app is not sending valid IAX2 packets to the
>> server. If
>> it was sending a true IAX2 POKE, it would be a valid packet and
>> wouldn't
>> generate this warning.
>
> Could asterisk at least _not_ report this harmless, below-warning
> event
> when using a zero-verbose (asterisk -r) level? That would be nice and
> logical.

I'd take this warning seriously. It means that your monitoring app isn't
monitoring what you think it is.

I always want to know when I get malformed protocol packets in. It is
always bad news, mostly either a misconfiguration (your case), an
attack,
(ie my firewall is not protecting this service) or a sign of a switch
port going bad.

Fix the cause not the symptom.

T.