[asterisk-users] [OT] Reporting Spam

randulo spamsucks2005 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 01:46:29 CST 2008

All of you on this list are familiar with how DNS works. You probably
use spam blocking lists (SBL) for your email servers? In case someone
is interested in building accurate SBL, Spamcop is a service that
allows you to easily report spam by sending in the headers. It can be
automated by procmail or whatever as well. Spamcop does a deep
analysis of the headers of a message and totally ignores what address
it may be spoofing. It's very accurate and send out (mostly ignored,
but occasionally acted upon) abuse notices.

The spam I get from VoIP companies (like the recent one which I got
twice) was reported. If only a few of you start reporting this and
other spam you receive, it feeds the spamcop list which is very
accurate, yet fair in the way it operates, unlike some SBL.

My intention in posting this isn't so much to start the inevitable
discussion where someone now tries to trash everything I just said,
but to inform those who might be interested, that you can help me and
everyone else by reporting spam to spamcop.net. The usual caveat: YMMV

/r