[asterisk-users] SPA-962 & Asterisk

Wilton Helm whelm at compuserve.com
Thu Nov 6 17:43:07 CST 2008

>The linksys phones annoy me because they cannot implement southern
>hemisphere DST properly.

I was shocked the first time I had to write firmware for an international project.  Not only is there the southern hemisphere issue of opposite seasons, but just about anyone in the world with a legislative body has to prove their independence from everyone else by defining the dates a bit differently (not to mention time zones that differ by 15 or 30 minutes).  Then the US came along and changed their rules after a million products already had them hard coded in silicon!  It's a mess.

I just wish we'd all forget about it entirely.  Its a way to force people who don't like to get up early to do so anyway.  A number of studies have been done on the increase in accidents and reduced worker productivity for a week or two after a change.  The recent US change was supposed to save energy, but I suspect if one did a study, they would find that businesses just extended their hours to accommodate a diversity of people, thus increasing their energy consumption!

Wilton