[asterisk-users] RFC: multiple packages editing asterisk config files

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu Nov 6 08:29:52 CST 2008

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 12:57:15PM +0200, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm lately bothered with the need to provide a set of Asterisk
> configuration files in a package that will be good for a wide range of
> Asterisk users.
>
> Asterisk configuration files support #include and a number of other
> interesting tricks, as mentioned in
> http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/branches/1.4/doc/configuration.txt [0].

Now let's look at indications.conf .

indications.conf . This is essentially a data file. Indications should
mostly have been provided by an external library. Indications from
libtonezone and from indications.conf are the same.

The sample^Wreference indications.conf begins, however with a warning:
; NOTE:
;    When adding countries to this file, please keep them in alphabetical
;    order according to the 2-character country codes!

I looked at main/indications.c and res/res_indications.c and fail to see
the reason for this limitation. The only configurable part in this file
follows:

[general]
country=us		; default location

Which would be easy to override anyway:

[general](+)
country = dk

There is normally never a need to remove a value. Only to add a section
or fix a wrong value. Hence I would suggest to replace the default
settings for indications.conf with:

; This would be /var/lib/asterisk if your distribution did not change it
; to something like /usr/share/asterisk ;-)
#include $AST_DATA_DIR/configs/indications.countries.conf
[general]
;country = us

--
               Tzafrir Cohen