[asterisk-users] twice normal beep before busy tone ??

Stefan Guenther asterisk02 at in-put.de
Thu Nov 6 02:20:27 CST 2008

Matt wrote:
------------------------------
 >What this means is that if the call is busy, it will play busy tones,
 >if the call is ringing it will play ringing, congestion, congestion
 >etc.
 >
 >The reason you are hearing silence is that Asterisk doesn't know what
 >the status of the call is before that.
 >The cell phone provider will likely take up to 3 seconds to tell your
 >machine what is happening with the call.
 >If you use the 'r' option then it will play ringing tones even if the
 >phone is busy.

well that means, that if I have a "bad" phone line (meaning poor
quality) and I remove the "r", I will definitely have silence, when I
call cell phone numbers and may have silence on calls to normal phones.

If I leave the "r" in the dial string, this removes the silence and adds
the ring tone, with the disadvantage that I will even hear the ring tone
on calls to busy numbers.

If that is true, the whole problem is related to the quality of the
phone line, which prevents asterisk from getting the right status fast
enough.

Regards,

Stefan

in-put GbR - Das Linux-Systemhaus