[asterisk-users] IAX2 hardware video phone

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Sat May 31 22:47:50 CDT 2008

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 11:27 PM, Joseph <syscon at interbaun.com> wrote:
> On 06/01/08 10:13, Rob Hillis wrote:
>>> The only option I have seen is Grandstream GXV3000; it works with Asterisk but it is SIP phone.
>>> So to traverse the firewall using "IAX2" I need to connect it to an internal asterisk box or make a "Swiss cheese"
>>> out of a firewall.
>>>

>>It's the only one I'm aware of too, and having been bitten badly by the
>>Grandstream's superior ability to crash, hang, stuff up phone calls and
>>otherwise behave badly, the only recommendation I ever have for them is
>>to NOT use them.  Whilst I haven't used a GXV3000 for long enough to
>>know how much the Grandstream instability applies to this phone, I've
>>had more than enough experience with GXP-2000s and BT200s.
>
> Thanks for the input.
> I've read some reviews and from what I've read the Video is OK but the voice quality is not impressive.
> Is anybody using this model and can provide real life experience with GXV3000 model?
>
> --
> #Joseph

A local Asterisk server is the best way to do this.  That being said,
the WRT54G and all of the other WiFi APs that can run dd-wrt or
Openwrt can actually be Asterisk servers.  I have done it but never
went so far as to register a single phone.  Not sure how it would
scale.

Question for Michael Graves (or anyone that can answer), I have two
big boxes of old HP thin clients.  What do you do to recycle them?

Thanks,
Steve Totaro