[asterisk-users] SIP to SIP calls

Adrian Marsh Adrian.Marsh at ubiquisys.com
Tue May 27 10:55:06 CDT 2008

Hi all,

I'm testing some call scenarios with my asterisk server.  I've two
questions to make sure my understanding of SIP is correct:

1)       What does the localnet setting in sip.conf actually effect?
Does it mean that inbound SIP calls, from outside the LAN get treated
differently from those on the LAN? Is it just a NATing thing??

2)       The really basic one:  If I wanted to make a really simple SIP
to SIP call, eg Xlite to Zoiper client to client, would the URI be :
sip:2001 at 192.168.0.1  on Zoiper?

I'm trying to make calls to sip:  ext at serverip,  but I'm not sure if the
format should be:

ext at serverip  or

sip:ext at serverip  or

sip://ext_to@serverip/ext_from

etc,

At the moment inbound SIP calls work, and I'm trying to understand *how*
its working..

Thanks,

Adrian