[asterisk-users] Max number of Registrations with and without Realtime

z_gringo z_gringo at hotmail.com
Tue May 27 07:37:08 CDT 2008

I have a decent sized asterisk 1.4 installation of about 5000
registered users spread across various servers.   I have noticed that
when keeping the SIP users in the Realtime database, the Asterisk
servers become completely unstable at around 600 - 800 users.   MySQL
is running on a different set of servers, but the bottleneck is
definately the number of registered users.  We can buy some room by
increasing the re-registration time, but not much.

If I take put
all the users in sip.conf instead of in the Realtime database, the
situation improves considerably.   We leave the dialplan in realtime,
but put the users in sip.conf.  This seems to eliminate most of the
problems.

Obviously, we can look at putting something in front
of Asterisk to manage the registration traffic, but why is Asterisk
having such a problem with this?   Does anyone else have more than 600
users registering directly with Asterisk using Realtime?