[asterisk-users] Registration of multiple SIP-clients for the same extensions

Eric Wieling eric at fnords.org
Mon May 26 14:15:14 CDT 2008

We use the MAC of the device as it's SIP user ID with -a, -b, -c, etc
appended to it to indicated the individual call appearances.

An extension is totally separate and different from a SIP peer.  An
extension is a set of numbers you dial.  Those numbers, when received by
the Asterisk tells Asterisk where in the dialplan to send the call.  The
call can then be routed to an IVR, a SIP device, an IAX2 device, etc.

Matt Watson wrote:
> I think the way you are going to have to do this is by having 2 separate SIP peers for each user, 1 for the softphone, 1 for the hardphone.
>
> Then your dialplan is going to be something like:
>
> exten => 999,1,Dial(SIP/120&SIP/121)
>
> where "999" is their extension number and "120" and "121" are the names of the SIP peers for the soft & hardphones.
>
> --
> Matt
> http://www.mattgwatson.ca

Consulting for Asterisk, Polycom, Sangoma, Digium, Cisco, LAN, WAN, QoS,
T-1, PRI, Frame Relay, Linux, and network design.  Based near
Birmingham, AL.  Now accepting clients worldwide.