[asterisk-users] More fun but with Wireshark capture

Doug Lytle support at drdos.info
Thu May 22 17:25:08 CDT 2008

Doug Lytle wrote:
> Mik Cheez wrote:
>
>> Something is certainly wrong here.  Can you check the netmask?  I assume
>> you're just using a full class C, which would make the netmask

We may have tracked it down.  We started looking at the DNS issues that
Alexander mentioned and saw that the new DHCP was indeed getting a lot
of queries.  We took one phone, setup a firewall rule to allow it to
access an outside DNS.  It hasn't dropped since.

My guess is that, the original DHCP didn't have Bind installed, the port
was closed.

So, when the Polycom's tried a DNS entry to the server, saw the port was
closed and didn't try further.  With the new DHCP (It's also our
squid/bind/DansGuardian server), it does, but bind isn't setup to
respond to queries to that interface.

The phones, seeing the port open, tried to make the queries until the
timeout value and then caught up on the queued requests.

Thanks for everybody's help!

Doug