[asterisk-users] reload stopping EVERYTHING on CLI and causing havoc.

Mark Hamilton mark.h at cage151.com
Thu May 22 16:15:13 CDT 2008

Ok, I will try this out tonight.

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of BJ Weschke
Sent: May 22, 2008 4:44 PM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] reload stopping EVERYTHING on CLI and causing
havoc.

BJ Weschke wrote:
> Sherwood McGowan wrote:
>> Mark Hamilton wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Yesterday I made a change in queues.conf and so tried doing a reload
>>> app_queue.so in the CLI. (Using 1.4.18). It didn't seem to do
>>> anything, infact all action on CLI stopped.
>>>
>>> Then, I did a reload. Same thing.
>>>
>>> After that there was no other way.. because even stop now wouldn't
>>> work, so I did a service asterisk restart
>>>
>>> And then asterisk kept giving the same thing on prompt "Died
>>> successfully" and all that it usually says when you issue a stop
>>> now, except it kept showing that on root prompt after doing a
>>> service asterisk restart.
>>>
>>> Did a killall asterisk, and finally it stopped.
>>>
>>> Then started asterisk service. It was fine.
>>>
>>> Did a full restart at night, and it was fine.
>>>
>>> NOW, I wanted to do a reload again today mid-day when in full use,
>>> and it still didn't work, and ALL of the above happened again.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> How do I diagnose what's causing this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Mark.

>> I've had this problem before, haven't debugged it. I definitely look
>> forward to hearing what is said about this.
>>
>> Example from my recent experience, I wanted to restart the server and
>> so did
>>
>> pbx0*CLI> restart now
>>
>> But nothing happened...system continued to allow calls to take place.
>> I've found that sometimes exiting and reconnecting to the CLI helps,
>> but there have been a couple occasions where NOTHING would allow the
>> server to restart save for a reboot. Even killall asterisk didn't
>> kill the process....
>>
>> Sherwood McGowan
>>

> Sounds like you're waiting on a mutex locked somewhere within the
> queue infrastructure. You'll want to take a look at DEBUG_THREAD and
> follow on research behind that.
>
> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2003-November/002384.html

 Sorry about that. Gave you some 'dated' info there in that link. Try
this instead maybe for 1.4...

    Tips for Asterisk 1.4

Two things you need to make sure you enable when you compile asterisk:

DEBUG_THREADS
DONT_OPTIMIZE

These can be toggled under the "Compiler Flags" options when you do a
"make menuselect". Make sure that you have them turned on (I.E. an
Asterisk next to them).

Then, follow the guidelines for obtaining a backtrace with GDB. These
can be found in the file "asterisk/doc/backtrace.txt".

I would suggest that you issue the following, to make your life easy;

script backtrace.txt <- This will start a typescript session, which
captures the Input / Output from the session into a file called
"backtrace.txt"

Once you get into gdb, then issue: "set pagination off" to turn of paging.

Then, get your backtrace, exit out of GDB and come find someone on
#asterisk-dev on irc.freenode.org to take a look at your backtrace or
the asterisk-dev mailing list.

    Backtracing a core dump file in /tmp

   1. start Asterisk with safe_asterisk
   2. enter "gdb asterisk core.xxxx"
   3. enter "bt" while in gdb (or do a "bt full")
   4. enter "thread apply all bt"

Naturally you'll need to have gdb installed on your system

Bird's The Word Technologies, Inc.
http://www.btwtech.com/