[asterisk-users] Asterisk Database Handling

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu May 22 15:46:23 CDT 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 10:05:13AM -0500, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> > I've never released replicate publicly, because I'm not sure how taking
> > a program like tail and adapting it to a new purpose is handled by the
> > GPL.  However, I'm sure someone on this list more knowledgeable than
> > myself can help me understand that issue.
>
> There's no problem, as long as you distribute your program under the GPL,
> which means providing the source on demand to anybody to whom you distribute
> a binary.
>
> If you want to distribute under another license, then it comes down to how you
> developed the code.  If you developed the code to work similarly to tail, but
> you did not use any tail code (or any other GPL code) directly, then you're
> pretty much free to use any license you like.  However, if you started off
> with the tail codebase and altered it, it is a derivative work, and GPL is the
> only way to go.

And of course, as long as you don't distribute it[1], then you can do
anything you like with it, GPL or not.

Cheers,
-- jra
[1]for suitable values of 'distribute', which for GPLv2 means "ship",
and for GPLv3/AGPL means "make available through a web service".

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Joseph Stalin)