[asterisk-users] Fax solution for Asterisk

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Thu May 22 07:32:49 CDT 2008

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> Something that's always confused me - IAXmodem is built on spandsp. RxFAX
> is also built on spandsp. RxFAX gets one step closer to the data stream
> (no copper/IP in the way), so why are people using (& suggesting) Hylafax
> over RxFAX?

spandsp includes a lot of stuff.   In spandsp there are the fax modems:
V.21, V.27ter, V.29, and V.17.  There is also a Class 1/1.0 DCE
interface (T.31).  There is also a T.30 (fax protocol) driver.  There is
also a T.38 driver in there.  There is other stuff there, too.

IAXmodem uses the fax modems and the T.31 DCE... its main purpose being
to function with other applications that have their own Class 1 T.30
drivers such as HylaFAX.

RxFAX (and TxFAX) also uses the fax modems, but doesn't use the T.31
DCE, but instead uses the T.30 driver.

So the difference underneath the hood really has to do with where the
fax protocol engine/driver is.  When using IAXmodem the protocol is done
by HylaFAX.  When using RxFAX/TxFAX the protocol is done within spandsp.

Thanks,

Lee.