[asterisk-users] call pick up

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu May 22 04:41:35 CDT 2008

Tharanga wrote:

> Iam using asterisk 1.2.14. when someone call to my ip-pbx, receptionist will
> transfer that to specific extension. If the person is not there.(ignore the
> voicemail part) i need to get the call back to receptionist again. so she
> can tell the calling party he is not there or line is busy.
> how should i do this in asterisk ? will call parking work for this ?

This is a hard one to pull off by machine.  I think the easiest approach
is to have the receptionist put the caller on hold, pick up another
line, attempt to reach the destination party, and then blindly transfer
if the call if they are available.

Sure, it creates some inefficiencies in the process of getting the calls
out of the receptionist's hands, but honestly sometimes the human
approach is still the most economical.  All other methods require some
level of supervision as well, so just follow the 80/20 rule.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems