[asterisk-users] T38 fax solution with Asterisk possible?

Rob Hillis rob at hillis.dyndns.org
Wed May 21 20:05:20 CDT 2008

mark morreny wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a very low cost way of receiving and sending T38 fax
> reliably.  Is there any possible solution using Asterisk as the PSTN
> SIP gateay and Digium E1/T1 card?  Is there other open source package
> that can help to accomplish this purpose?

Asterisk is not yet capable of performing as a T.38 gateway.  If you
need this functionality, look at CallWeaver which is a fork of Asterisk
1.2 and is fully capable of working with T.38.  Don't let the fact that
it's a release candidate put you off - CallWeaver releases tend to be
rock solid, and the only reason they haven't released yet is that
CallWeaver hasn't yet been ported to all platforms they're targeting.