[asterisk-users] Asterisk Database Handling

Steve Prior sprior at geekster.com
Wed May 21 19:36:11 CDT 2008

Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> Correct; it's actually a workaround for a bug in the MySQL drivers.  It was
> discovered long after 1.2 was end-of-lifed.

I got bit by MySQL reconnects on some other software I wrote I think when I
jumped from MySQL 4.* to 5.*.  If memory serves, here is the relevant info from
the official MySQL documentation:

From: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/upgrading-from-4-1.html

The reconnect flag in the MYSQL structure is set to 0 by mysql_real_connect().
Only those client programs which did not explicitly set this flag to 0 or 1
after mysql_real_connect()  experience a change. Having automatic reconnection
enabled by default was considered too dangerous (due to the fact that table
locks, temporary tables, user variables, and session variables are lost after
reconnection).

This may explain why this is happening in Asterisk.  In the case of my other
code the answer was not to keep a long term connection through idle periods.

Steve