[asterisk-users] Asterisk Database Handling

Sherwood McGowan sherwood.mcgowan at gmail.com
Wed May 21 18:20:38 CDT 2008

Douglas Garstang wrote:
> >I personally can tell you I've never had a problem with either the
> >PostgreSQL or MySQL cdr apps themselves losing records. However, I can't
> >say personally how well the ODBC method works. I'll just stick to saying
> >that if you're considering using the cdr_mysql addon, I would highly
> >suggest it as I've used it with MUCH success on high load servers.
>
> Oh... Also... does your system have idle periods? You said your
> servers where under high load. The issue seems to be that Asterisk
> does not re-establish the database connection after it is disconnected
> do to being idle. If you don't have idle periods, you'd never see this
> problem anyway.

True, I should have also mentioned that I have used it on low load
testing servers and it did not have a problem with reconnecting. Like I
said, I haven't used the ODBC method, but the cdr_mysql addon
reconnected for me. Currently, however, I'm operating a high load (1K
calls per hour or more) server with cdr_pgsql with no keep alive, but as
far as I remember I never had to institute a keep_alive of any sort on
my other servers. However, don't take this as gold, it's been more than
6 months since I worked with a low load server.

Sherwood McGowan