[asterisk-users] Error Counters on PRI Circuit

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Wed May 21 16:20:27 CDT 2008

Lyle Giese wrote:
> Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

>>>    Go on ebay and buy an ADC Kentrox DataSmart 658 for less than $100
>>>    dollars. The 658 has an ethernet port for management and grabbing
>>>    the stats of the T1 line itself.
>>>

>>>    For an ISDN T1 PRI, set channels 1-23 to T1 Voice and Channel
>>>    24 to T1 Data, otherwise the B channel won't come up. You may
>>>    need a DB15male and a DB15female to RJ45 adapters as not all of
>>>    these units on Ebay come with them. The T1 from the phone company
>>>    connects to the Network connector(db15 male on the unit) and the
>>>    Terminal connector (db15 female) goes to Asterisk. These units
>>>    started appearing on Ebay at the under $100 price mark about a year
>>>    ago or so.
>>>

>> Nice tip, though I won't be buying one for each of my 26 spans.  :-)
>>
>> To the OP: if you're willing to open the box, there is usually a DB-9s
>> on the front of the smartjack you can plug your laptop into...  it's
>> not actually "your" interface, but it will give you the numbers.
>>
>> You also run the risk of screwing up the span, which I do not assume
>> hereby.  :-)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -- jra
>>

> Around here, the telco locks that cabinet and there is a user
> id/password required to use that craft interface.  (I have a key, but
> then I worked for the telco for 23 years and have a few insider tools
> laying around)

Not only that, but Jay's suggestion is going to give you the performance
monitoring data off the smartjack itself, not off of any portion of the
span beyond the smartjack.

So, if you are receiving errors on the part that runs to the CSU/DSU,
or, if you have an outboard CSU/DSU, also the DTE portion beyond it,
well, you won't see those.

You might get lucky and see errors in transmission (arrival at the
smartjack from the customer data side) since many error-causing
phenomena tend to apply symmetrically, but maybe not.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems