[asterisk-users] Fax solution for Asterisk

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Wed May 21 09:34:46 CDT 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 10:26 AM, Lee Howard <faxguy at howardsilvan.com> wrote:
> Sanjay Rajdev wrote:
>> We are using Asterisk 1.4.13 on FC6 and have a T1 card with 20 DID's.
>> We are wanting to use one of the DID's for Fax, is this possible or do
>> we have to add some addition Hardware and what is the best way to do this.
>
> http://iaxmodem.sourceforge.net
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lee.

It depends on the amount of faxes and desired capabilities.  If you
just want a standalone fax, you could get an FXS card (in the same
box) and bridge the faxes to that.  It has worked quite well for me
with a bit of tweaking, echocancelwhenbridged=no helps.

Another option that works very well for high density, real fax
machines is taking another T1 port and attaching it to a channel bank.

Third option, hylafax and iaxmodem.  This works pretty well since you
are using a T for your inbound fax.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro