[asterisk-users] Which best practices to build and deploy Asterisk on different hardware ?

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Mon May 19 14:17:56 CDT 2008

2008/5/19 Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com>:

> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 07:29:54PM +0200, Olivier wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Today I'm building Asterisk using steps like this :
> >
> http://mikeoverip.wordpress.com/2008/03/29/asterisk-compilation-and-installation-on-debian-etch/
> >
> > As you can see, the first requirement is to download various dependencies
> > such as gcc, g++.
> >
> > As I'm trying to centralize everything (configuration files, source codes
> in
> > an SVN repository), I'm wondering if there is a smarter way to build
> > Asterisk.
>
> For configuration this is indeed very useful. For source: a bit less.
>
> Do you keep the whole Asterisk source tree in a subversion?

not at the moment but I'm wondering if we should ...

What do you
> do when a new version comes along? People tend to keep just patches and
> build instructions in the subversion.
>
> You can check the astlinux SVN repository for a working build system.
>
> We maintain the Debian Asterisk-related packages (and some others) in a
> subversion repository:
>
>  http://pkg-voip.alioth.debian.org/
>
> As you can see, most of the packages there have just a debian/
> subdirectory, where they keep the administrative files needed for
> packaging. Many of them also have the subdirectory debian/patches/ where
> patches to the source package are maintained.
>
> But some people keep saying that a a version control system that has
> better support for merging should allow you to store the source inside
> it and just merge new upstream versions (or rather: consider your
> changes as feature branches). This sounds cool, but may be tricky to
> implement.

I agree :
if we edit files somewhere, upload changes in repository and then download
them in target system, things are manageable
but it's easier to work directly on target system when tracking a bug or
tweaking some configuration. Then things become more difficult to handle