[asterisk-users] Understanding Incoming sip DID handling

Joseph L. Casale JCasale at activenetwerx.com
Mon May 19 13:47:52 CDT 2008

>Yes, in your dialplan you should have one extension set up for the first
>number and where to send it, and a second for the other.

So, if the sip.conf config sends the did into the [incoming] context
and its phone number is 555-1212, would this be the right way:

exten => 5551212,1,`Do Something`   ?

How do I elegantly write something to catch the area code, if the number dialed was
1-xxx-555-1212? Or does the incoming number from my sip provider always show up to me
as an 11 digit number:

exten => 19495551212,1,`Do Something` for example?

If that sip account turfed the call into a custom context, [incoming_1] and nothing else
entered it (the other line went its own, [incoming_2], I suppose I could just write:

exten => s,1,`Do Something` which eliminates this question?

Thanks for all the guidance!
jlc