[asterisk-users] nokia 770 has a build in mic, asterisk and iphone

Erik de Wild: Tripple-o info at tripple-o.nl
Mon May 19 12:28:54 CDT 2008

>  was almost tempted to try it, but time was short at the time, and
> holding an N770 to my head seemed a bit silly.. (built in mic and
> speakers, but no socket for an external mic)
>
> Gordon

I run Asterisk on a Nokia 770 and as a mini pbx it run pretty smooth.
I  used it, just for fun and demonstration, with a sip account and 4
concurrent sip calls were running smooth. For those just making and
receiving phonecalls now and then it is a very useble pbx.

a little bit off topic:
The Nokia 770 has an internal mic. It is the little hole next to the
hole for the power supply. It looks like a reset whole but it isn't
and I'm afraid you will ruin the mic if you try to reset your Nokia
770 this way.  With the Gizmo client for the Nokia 770 you can make
(partly free) phonecalls  and yes, you have to keep the Nokia 770
against your ear.

about Asterisk and iPhone

I run Asterisk on an iPhone too. It fascinates me to have Asterisk
running on small devices like the Nokia 770 and the Iphone. It was
running but it took almost 100 % of the cpu power, turning the Iphone
into a device to keep your hands warm during cold days. Something most
have gone wrong with building Asterisk . As soon as Asterisk is up and
running it is actually the same as running it on a normal server. For
using Asterisk as the device pbx (routing incoming calls, moh,
queueing, transfer, voicemail etc.) I think there should also be a sip
phone available that can be registered on the local Asterisk. The
first sip phone (Fring) is a smart  proof of concept but certainly not
ready for normal use. With a sip phone available you can make outbound
calls.

sip phone  -> asterisk -> sip provider -> pstn-net

And receive inbound calls the other way around. I'm very interested in
using my iPhone as a sip phone with PBX functionalities but it seems
not to be an easy task to make a stable sip phone for the iPhone with
Apple trying everything to prevent this from happening.