[asterisk-users] PRI debugging ...

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Mon May 19 05:42:17 CDT 2008

On Fri, 16 May 2008, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> Have a problem with an ISDN30 line in the UK.

So following up my own post.. I've not solved this issue, but I think I
know what causes it.

This was my experiment to put 2 cards in one 1.3GHz system - a TDM400 with
2 x FXO and 2 x FSX and a TE120P - E1 card.

The PRI card loses interrupts, so I'm guessing it loses a frame of data
when it loses an interrupt, and eventually it gives up and does a reset.
The TDM card was rock solid. The system is using oslec too FWIW.

When I unloaded the wctdm module the PRI performend flawlessly.

So I'm suspecting the 1.3GHz processor and underlying IO is marginal for
this application. The Mobo doesn't have an APIC, just old PIC hardware,
although both cards were on separate IRQs - the TDM card had the higher
priority IRQ though - didn't have time to test it with the cards swapped
over, but loading the modules in a differnt order didn't make any
difference. Turning off the USB hardware didn't help either.

The processor does seem to have a highish high-priority interrupt load (as
seen by top). I'll be trying a newer kernel when I get a chance though
(this is 2.6.18, compiled to match the motherboard exactly)

Making calls through the TDM card just made it worse.

However when it was working, it was working very well indeed, but the
occasional time when it dropped all calls (about once an hour) wasn't
good.

Gordon