[asterisk-users] Asterisk concurrent calls count

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sun May 18 13:25:03 CDT 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 02:02:18PM -0400, Steve Totaro wrote:

> Asterisk benchmarking is one of the topics that comes up on the list
> frequently and consistently for what, like the last six years (that I
> have been involved with Asterisk)?  I would call that a "Salt
> Boulder".
>
> On the wiki there is a long page dedicated to dimensioning.  I know
> beyond a shadow of a doubt that people really are very interested in
> the numbers.
>
> If Digium won't supply benchmarking, then let's have a 3rd party throw
> down the gauntlet.
>
> Digium vs Sangoma on stock kernels and stock machines with identical
> call load, apps, transcoding.  No optimization, just stock, and see at
> what load we hit a breaking point.

What stock kernel?

No optimizations? (-O0? )

No optimized glibc either?

> Then Asterisk vs FreeSwitch on similar apps pushing them to the
> breaking point as well.

I'd say that in both cases a competent benchmarketeer would be able to
suggest tests that will provide results proving "his" side s the clear
winner.

> Nothing but pure numbers.

Sure.

/dev/random also gives me pure numbers :-)

Please suggest a test environment if you think it is so easy to come up
with one.

Frankly I'd say that marketing battles are not the best place to start
working on a good benchmark. Everyone will be tainted and suspected.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com