[asterisk-users] Asterisk concurrent calls count

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat May 17 23:32:27 CDT 2008

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 06:43:51PM -0400, Steve Totaro wrote:
> Maybe next they will charge $250 for "conference bridge" capabilities.
>  It's a joke to cripple things that can be enabled by flicking a
> switch.  Your system comes with eight ports of VM but for another $250
> we can give you 12......

"Feature pricing" (also called "value pricing") is a time honored
tradition -- especially in the telecom business.

Ever wonder why your telco charged you $2.50 a month for call waiting
when it involved exactly, let me see, right: *no hardware at all*?

Because they could.

And more to the point: because Nortel charged *them* $20k a year[1] to
enable the feature in the generic, and they were damn sure gonna get
that money back from someone.

In this case, *they give away the entire source package.  For free*.

I like you a lot, Steve, generally, but it feels a bit like you're
whining, on this one, to me...

Cheers,
-- jra
[1] These features were indeed charged for, though usually in packages;
I don't have exact numbers -- though I *do* have a DMS 100 Feature
Portfolio on my bookshelf, so I could give you a feature number, if you
like.

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Joseph Stalin)