[asterisk-users] Asterisk concurrent calls count

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Sat May 17 19:07:51 CDT 2008

On Sat, 17 May 2008 18:32:57 -0500, Tilghman Lesher wrote:

>> Maybe next they will charge $250 for "conference bridge" capabilities.
>>  It's a joke to cripple things that can be enabled by flicking a
>> switch.  Your system comes with eight ports of VM but for another $250
>> we can give you 12......

Forgive me for jumping in on this, but that's terribly naive.

I work in the broadcast and TV production business. Some time ago a
major company called Quantel created a hardware system called "Edit
Box." It was wickedly fast and could do things with multiple streams of
uncompressed video in real-time. It was way beyond PCs, Macs or *nix
boxes of the day. It started at $500,000 USD for four streams.

I was at a Chicago post production facility the day that Quantel
delivered an "upgrade" that allowed the system to manipulate 8
simultaneous video streams. The field service tech walk in with a disk
and installed a software patch. Voila, twice as many layers.

That upgrade cost another $250,000.

This kind of thing goes on all the time. The hardware has the core
capabilities but licensing controls your access to it. You get what you
pay for.

Michael
--
Michael Graves