[asterisk-users] Using a Loopback Plug for an RJ-45 Ethernet Interface for testing a Digium Card

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat May 17 17:01:57 CDT 2008

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 05:50:46PM -0400, Jose P. Espinal wrote:
> Someone told me about using a Loopback plug for RJ-45 for testing if a
> Digium Card gave him 'green' Alarm (for testing if the card had been
> damaged by  a strange voltage surge); would this have some bad side effect?

Well, it's actually probably an RJ-48X interface, but who's counting.

If your question, though, is "would plugging a loopback-wired 8p8c modular
plug into the jack on the back of a T-1 card cause it any damage in
itself?", I can't imagine the answer would be "yes", no.

If you loop it and it stays in Red alarm, it's probably broken.

I can't speak to exactly what the alarm status stuff does if the port
you're looping expects to have a PRI plugged into it: I would expect
"Green, but no actual traffic", but I could be wrong, I'm a bit new on
that front.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.