[asterisk-users] Polycom XML Files / asterisk

James Sneeringer jsneerin at gmail.com
Thu May 15 16:18:07 CDT 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Michael Graves <mgraves at mstvp.com> wrote:
> TFTP is another matter. As I recall it's not routable so you won't be
> using TFTP except to access a local server.

TFTP is UDP-based and is therefore routable. You can TFTP across the
Internet if you want to. The issues with TFTP have always been:

1. It's UDP-based, so lossy networks can corrupt your file transfer.
2. Inability to transfer files larger than 32 MB.
3. Fixed block size of 512 bytes means sloooow transfers.
4. No authentication at all (though admittedly that's by design).

Items 2 and 3 are not quite true anymore, as many TFTP clients and
servers now support "extended" modes with varying block sizes,
allowing for larger and faster transfers. They are not universally
supported, though.

-James