[asterisk-users] Newbie Asterisk: Install Asterisk as non-root

Philipp Kempgen philipp.kempgen at amooma.de
Thu May 15 04:01:33 CDT 2008

Lee, John (Sydney) schrieb:
> I was following the instruction on
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+non-root to re-install my
> Asterisk as non-root when I had the following questions/issues:
>

> 1) " Use your system's preferred method of adding a new user. Examples:
> Red Hat: adduser -c "Asterisk PBX" -d /var/lib/asterisk -u 5060
> asterisk"
> ###Why did we have to choose uid as 5060?
> ###In fact, do you need to specify the uid at all?

If you don't care: no.

> 2) "Edit your Asterisk config file (/etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf):
> astrundir => /var/run/asterisk
> Recompile and reinstall Asterisk."
> ### Seems a bit strange to modify this before you recompile.
> ### As it turns out, the reinstall did not change the astrundir variable
> ### You have to manually modify it if this modification is actually
> required.

Why should /etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf have any influence on
the compilation?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Udev
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev.html

> 4) "Asterisk needs read permission for these directories and their
> contents:
> /etc/asterisk.
> chown --recursive root:asterisk /etc/asterisk"
> ### root is not in group asterisk
> ### All the while, the instruction has been saying to create a user
> asterisk
> ### under group asterisk.
> ### Does it mean to put root into group asterisk as well???
> ### Or should it be "chown --recursive asterisk:asterisk /etc/asterisk"
> ?

Probably.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_of_Service
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DiffServ_Code_Point

> Any thoughts?

When I last thought about it Asterisk was not really ready to be
run as non-root. Maybe it is now.

Grüße,
Philipp Kempgen
--