[asterisk-users] Polycom XML Files / asterisk

Norman W. Franke norman at myasd.com
Wed May 14 21:07:16 CDT 2008

On May 14, 2008, at 8:06 PM, asterisk-users-request at lists.digium.com
wrote:

> Does anyone know how to apply a style sheet to the polycom automatic
> provisioning XML files?
>
> Even better, does anyone know of a web-based XML editor where you can
> just edit the files from a browser directly ie entering in phone
> number, display name, proxy address etc.  From what I gather, most
> people are just using Notepad to change the files then upload them, or
> vi from the command line, which is fiddly and time-consuming.

If you are just making simple edits, like phone number, name, etc.,
then why not script it? Create a base XML file (or several if you
have several classes of users.) Then using perl/sed/whatever replace
things like __PHONENUMBER__ with the actual phone number. It's even
easier with perl, the templates can be in the perl script and you can
use variable substitution and even connect to a master database with
the records, e.g. "make_polycom.pl 1234" could look up the info for
1234 and make the file, upload it to your FTP server, etc.

This is on my wish list of things to do, but I can't see me needing
more than like 20 phones, so "vi" and regex substitution works rather
well.

Norman Franke
ASD, Inc.
www.myasd.com