[asterisk-users] Question about SS7

mark morreny markmorreny at gmail.com
Wed May 14 14:52:11 CDT 2008

Hi,

I have read about SS7 recently and learnt that it is a signalling protocol
used in PSTN for call management, setup, etc.  The thing that I don't
understand is how SS7 plays a role in VOIP.  When I make calls between
landline and Asterisk via PSTN, I don't need to do anything with SS7.  Is it
because the SS7 signalling is already done by Asterisk already?  From the
prespective of implementing Asterisk, what kind of SS7 support is needed?
Is SS7 something needs to be concerned about when using Asterisk with T1/E1?

I hope someone can help me to clearify these doubts that I am having.

Thanks,
Mark