[asterisk-users] 3U server chassis & Digium TE405P?

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Tue May 13 08:41:19 CDT 2008

On Tue, 13 May 2008, Steve Totaro wrote:

> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 7:26 AM, Gordon Henderson
> <gordon+asterisk at drogon.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 May 2008, Steve Totaro wrote:
>>
>> > You can put a TE405 in a 1 server (horizontally of course).
>>
>>  I've just built a bit of an experimental system with 2 PCI cards in a 1U
>>  box. Quite a neat little system. The cards are a TDM400 and a TE120P. Will
>>  they work? Well, they seem to, so-far... Be intersting to see how it
>>  behaves under load and I'll get a chance to find out in the next few days.
>>
>>  Gordon
>>

> Gordon,
>
> It may work.

It's just an experiment, but who knows :)

> Just a benchmark from my experience, a sing core HP DL 360 @ ~3ghz and
> two gigs of RAM gave me ~75 CPU usage in top.  This box was used
> simply as a PSTN to SIP (ULAW) gateway with just the required features
> and programs.  I was using a Sangoma four port T1 card with 95
> simultaneous calls (NFAS).

This is for a small office of 30 people - only 10 channels of the PRI are
"lit". The TDM card is for outgoing calls to a 2-port Premicell unit
(analogue GSM adapter with LCR to mobile phones) and for 2 fax machines -
which is the only thing I'm a shade concerend about - the analogue FAX
through the TDM board and back out via the PRI board.. (incoming faxes are
handled by spandsp/RxFAX and sent via email)

And this in only a mere 1.3GHz VIA board too. 384MB of free RAM (512 in
total, but the OS lives in a 128MB ramdisk) No transcoding and everything
is custom compiled/built. (Asterisk 1.2)

I actually wanted them to go for a Xorcom channel bank, as they have a
door opener/bell-push to manage somehow too, but they weren't keen on it,
and the Xorcom is a bit over kill - if only they did a 2+2 or even 4+4
(FXO/FXS) unit rather than an 8+8 ... (or even a stand-alone IO port!)

I'll let you know how it fares :)

Gordon