[asterisk-users] Which sound file formats?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Mon May 12 17:37:10 CDT 2008

On Monday 12 May 2008 17:27, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> Al Baker wrote:
> > Asterisk will automatically chose the best format  - per ATFOT
>
> I guess I'm not getting my head wrapped around this concept.  I
> understand the choosing but not how I might influence it.  Probably best
> to just build them all and let Asterisk sort it out.  I'll research this
> some more.

If you want to produce just one, I'd recommend producing slin or wav, as
they are essentially the same (slin is just wav without the header).  The
thing to note about this format is that as it is uncompressed, you will reduce
the amount of work needed for transcoding (other than if you have native
files), because transcoding from, for example, gsm to speex requires two
transcoding operations:  first, uncompress from gsm, and second, compress
to speex.  By adapting the most common intermediate format, you only need one
transcoding operation per packet.  Native files require no transcoding at all.
Transcoding tends to be the most CPU intensive task on a typical Asterisk
machine.

--
Tilghman