[asterisk-users] Problem with SIP Subscription Status

Zach Segal zwsegal at gleim.com
Mon May 12 13:07:31 CDT 2008

Hello All,

I've been having some intermittent trouble with an Asterisk 1.2.10
installation that is supporting roughly 50 SIP clients on a LAN, mostly
soft phones and about 10 snom VoIP phones.  We have a custom soft phone
client which displays presence information for various extensions.
Unfortunately, this information regularly gets out of sync with the
actual status of the various extensions.  An extension will show up as
'InUse' or 'Unavailable' when the individual is in fact not on the line,
i.e. the status should be 'Idle'.  I can verify this by issuing a 'sip
show subscriptions' and typically for every client subscribed to the
problem extension the status column displays 'InUse'/'Unavailable'.
However I have also noticed that in some instances, half the subscribed
clients will get an 'Idle' status and the other half will have 'InUse'
or 'Unavailable'.

Often this behavior will follow some other SNAFU, e.g. a rogue mpg123
process for MoH consuming abnormal amounts of CPU and creating high
loads.  However, this is not always the case.  The lack of a pattern,
and more then anything, a simple solution has forced my hand and I'm
appealing to the list for help.  I've been over voip-info countless
times and have searched around more then I care to remember.  Restarting
the soft phones does nothing to alleviate the problem (which doesn't
entirely surprise me as I'm starting to think it's a server side issue).
  Restarting asterisk itself generally resolves things however this is
not an option in the middle of the day.  Thanks in advance for all your
help.
--
Zach Segal