[asterisk-users] Newbie alert: VoIP hardware

Andreas van dem Helge joakimsen at gmail.com
Fri May 9 15:35:04 CDT 2008

I think there are quite a few aspects to the issue. I agree I've used
the X101p cards which really are a Windmodem with a resistor removed
and I had nothing but echo problems but then again I could have tried
harder.

1) It was an early digium product. I think the Sangoma cards and the
newer Digium cards are better designed. Hardware echo cancelation does
not hurt, especially if you have a history of echo problems.
2) It's a modem, probably the people who designed the card and also
the chip did not expect such scrutiny to be placed on its voice
abilities.... they probably figured primary use would be for data or
fax and maybe some voicemail use.
3) The process of converting the signal to digital brings out
qualities that you might not normally notice.... physical wiring
issues, reversed tip and ring pairs etc. Before giving up I would use
certified Cat 5 or at least Cat 3 cabling, make sure all connectors
and junctions are at minimum Cat 3, none of the pairs are reversed at
any point. And heck just for troubleshooting remove any unneeded
devices and wiring, i.e. everything else, including DSL modems and
filters (does not hurt to use better quality ones). Even then there
are thousands of feet of wiring beyond control, but that last few
hundered tend to be the messiest.

With that said many people will use these and not encounter issues.
And then the majority that do encounter issues will be with echo. Many
times this can be resolved by correcting any major wiring issues and
tweaking the software echo cancellation.