[asterisk-users] Zap Channels Collide (Incoming & Outgoing)

Eric Wieling eric at fnords.org
Fri May 9 09:57:16 CDT 2008

Drew Gibson wrote:
> Eric Wieling wrote:
>> Drew Gibson wrote:
>>
>>> I think the scary thing is that, for most people, basic knowledge of
>>> telephony was almost impossible to come by outside the opaque and
>>> secretive world of telco.
>>>
>>> That is until Asterisk came along!
>>>
>>> Perhaps there should be a regulatory requirement to read The Future of
>>> Telephony, cover to cover, before installing any Asterisk system! :-)
>>>
>>> http://www.asteriskdocs.org/
>>>
>> People that try to "wing it" and install Asterisk when they don't know
>> telecom just gives people a bad impression of Asterisk and VoIP in
>> general.  This helps nobody except the pocketbook of the consultant.
>>

> but how else do they learn?

Books are one of the best resources, the Wiki is not *too* bad when it
comes to general telecom stuff.  You can also build prototype systems.

No, Asterisk did not suddenly unleash the gates of knowledge in telecom.
  All that information was available before Asterisk.  What was not
available was info on the specific inner workings of traditional PBXs.

Asterisk and Digium did reduce the hardware cost of building a PBX.

Traidional telecom is actually fairly simple if you compare it with IP
PSTN/IP PBXs.  With an IP PBX like Asterisk you need to understand
telecom, IP networking (including routing, NAT, ports), Linux, as well
as Asterisk itself.

--
Consulting for Asterisk, Polycom, Sangoma, Digium, Cisco, LAN, WAN, QoS,
T-1, PRI, Frame Relay, Linux, and network design.  Based near