[asterisk-users] Newbie alert: VoIP hardware

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Thu May 8 11:03:34 CDT 2008

Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Thursday 08 May 2008 00:52:35 Steve Totaro wrote:
>
>> I can certainly post more "dirt" from Mark's previous right hand man
>> if you wish to continue this argument.
>>

> I'd enjoy the chance to debunk the myths that you've heard.  So keep it
> coming.
>

>> Why would Mark build a PBX from scratch for his start-up when a
>> Toshiba, 3Com, or NEC could be had for a few hundred dollars (not to
>> mention Mark's close ties with Adtran including funding.  Things just
>> don't add up, let's use our brains and not by the zeitgeist put out by
>> Digium.
>>

> I presume you're talking about key systems, which, while they are certainly
> cheaper than Asterisk even now, they lack customization.

Although this thread is interesting, the arguments probably should be
taken off list.
There clearly is no "right or wrong" here. Opinions and different views
on modern business practices that in another time would certainly be
viewed as unethical, but that isn't taught anymore, is it?

The incorrect line drawn by one of the posters between "Key" and "PBX"
clearly demonstrates
the lack of a full understanding of the real world of Telephony, as does
the design, at least in the beginning, of Asterisk, and the misuse of
some telephony terms that long predate Asterisk, VOIP, and micro
computers in general.  Even now there are struggles to correct some of
the basic flaws that prevent Asterisk from being as useful as many
inexpensive business telephone systems. The basic PC hardware platform
as well leaves much to be desired in reliability.

John  Novack

--
Dog is my co-pilot