[asterisk-users] Newbie alert: VoIP hardware

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Thu May 8 00:52:35 CDT 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 12:27 AM, Tilghman Lesher
<tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 May 2008 21:56:54 Steve Totaro wrote:
>  > On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Tilghman Lesher
>  >
>  > <tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com> wrote:
>  > > On Wednesday 07 May 2008 09:40:21 Steve Totaro wrote:
>  > >  > Interesting results in Google for TDM400P TigerJet reference design.
>  > >  > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.m
>  > >  >ozill
>  > >  > a:en-US:official&hs=h9P&pwst=1&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=1&q
>  > >  >=Tiger jet+Reference+design+tdm400p&spell=1
>  > >  >
>  > >  > Other keywords turn up much more similar results that seem to confirm
>  > >  > that the reference design from TigerJet was used.
>  > >  >
>  > >  > As with anything on the internet, take it with a grain of salt but it
>  > >  > does have enough hits to raise questions.
>  > >
>  > >  No, it doesn't.  It simply is an oft-repeated falsehood.  GO to the
>  > > TigerJet page, LOOK at the reference designs.  They do not hide a single
>  > > reference design from the web, and NONE of them are the TDM400P design.
>  > >
>  > >  If it was a reference design, please show the world the reference design
>  > >  from TigerJet.  There simply isn't one, and repeating it does not make
>  > > it so.
>  >

> > I guess you have reading comprehension issues.
>
>  Ad hominem.
>

>  > I said "take it with a
>  > grain of salt" as well as "seems to confirm".  Both are very benign
>  > and offer two sides of the story.
>
>  Two sides, as in, the truth, and false rumors.
>

>  > I think your personal feelings are
>  > overpowering your ability to comprehend and reason.
>
>  Pot.  Kettle.  Black.
>

>  > Anyways, maybe the entire reference design is not there but just
>  > connect the 2-3 reference designs and you're there.
>
>  I think you underestimate the field of hardware engineering.
>

>  > Tigerjet provides
>  > the reference design of using the PCI chipset
>
>  Correct.
>

>  > + they provide the
>  > reference design of the X100P (pretty much)
>
>  No, they do not.  They do not provide a single implementation of
>  an FXO interface on their site, only FXS.
>

>  > and going from X100P to
>  > PCI card with one FXS module is not that hard (just different Silabs
>  > chip) and then multiplying it only needs a small CPLD chip.
>
>  They are completely different designs.
>

>  > Not much brain power to come up with that.
>
>  I'm not sure how many boards you've designed in your life, but given my
>  awareness of the design process of both modules of the TDM400P, I know that
>  building one does NOT mean that engineering the other is easy.  Some hardware
>  engineers could probably confirm this, if they are so inclined.

> [...]

So the question begs, how come there was never any effort to patent the card?

I do not design cards but I do know many people who do.  The TDM400P
was a piece of junk and Digium very often blamed the motherboard for
the issues.  This was until Sangoma came on the scene and raised the
bar.  With ~15 employees no less.  People jumped ship from Digium in
droves (similar to lemmings) to go to Sangoma  since the IRQ issues
were null.  Competition is the only reason we have cards that are up
to par.

I think you are new to Digium but I have quite a bit of back ground
info dating back to Linux Support Services and the fact that the .3
version of Asterisk only supported Adtran (go figure...)

I can certainly post more "dirt" from Mark's previous right hand man
if you wish to continue this argument.

The truth will set you free.  Don't buy Digium propaganda, look at the facts.

Why would Mark build a PBX from scratch for his start-up when a
Toshiba, 3Com, or NEC could be had for a few hundred dollars (not to
mention Mark's close ties with Adtran including funding.  Things just
don't add up, let's use our brains and not by the zeitgeist put out by
Digium.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro