[asterisk-users] Newbie alert: VoIP hardware

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Wed May 7 08:04:19 CDT 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 9:00 AM, Steve Totaro
<stotaro at totarotechnologies.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 8:17 AM, Michael Graves <mgraves at mstvp.com> wrote:
>  > On Wed, 07 May 2008 09:58:04 +0100, Alan Lord wrote:
>  >
>  >  >Marco wrote:
>  >  >>
>  >  >> Respectfully, I don't agree. I've purchased an "original clone" :-P of
>  >  >> the X100P card, on the long period they almost always have some
>  >  >> drawbacks... Faxing have been troubling for me. Don't know if it was for
>  >  >> the line or else, but with a Digium card I had no problem at all.
>  >  >> No sponsoring in here, ok, but certified hardware works better,
>  >  >> therefore it's a better investment, I think.
>  >  >>
>  >  >
>  >  >I'm just offering my experiences. I have had no problems with my x100p
>  >  >card since using the oslec canceller.
>  >  >
>  >  >There's a big difference between $300 and $34 for one analogue line on a
>  >  >home phone.
>  >  >
>  >  >Of course YMMV ;-)
>  >
>  >  If you use traditional PC hardware (ie with an available PCI slot) then
>  >  you can use the TDM 4xx card from Digium. I had a TDM400p and it worked
>  >  well enough, much better than the X101p.
>  >
>  >  If you choose embedded hardware (Soekris, Alix, WRAP, etc) then you may
>  >  not be able to add a PCI card. The external interffaces are necessary,
>  >  like the Linksys SPA-2000/3000 series. These also work fairly well.
>  >  They have the advantage of not requiring Zaptel.
>  >
>  >  Nothing about your installation suggests that a traditional PC would be
>  >  beneficial. In fact, "Beefy" would just me more power, heat & noise.
>  >  Someone recently told me that the Alix 3C systems are $150 complete
>  >  from www.mini-box.com. That would seem like a bargain, and ideal for
>  >  your circumstance.
>  >
>  >  Michael
>  >  --
>  >  Michael Graves
>  >  mgraves<at>mstvp.com
>  >  http://blog.mgraves.org
>  >  o713-861-4005
>  >  c713-201-1262
>  >  sip:mjgraves at pixelpower.onsip.com
>  >  skype mjgraves
>  >  54245 at fwd.pulver.com
>  >

>  If your budget is tight and you want a decent card (not an X100P) with
>  room to upgrade, then check out
>  http://www.openvox.com.cn/products.php?genre_id=25 or
>  http://store.getvoicecards.com/index.php?cPath=66 they are the
>  reference design that Digium used on previous cards and are very well
>  made.  You can even use their FXO/FXS modules in a real Digium card
>  and visa versa.
>
>  The page I linked to includes the Octasic SoftEcho software.

> [...]

Martin,

I hope you don't mind me blowing your cover slightly.  I did not state
your name but I have been recommending your products whenever
possible.  The reason for posting your background info is to establish
credibility, but I should have probably asked you first.

Let me know if you want me to stop supplying personal details.

I hope hardware sales are going well.

Take it easy,
Steve