[asterisk-users] Newbie alert: VoIP hardware

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Wed May 7 07:17:19 CDT 2008

On Wed, 07 May 2008 09:58:04 +0100, Alan Lord wrote:

>Marco wrote:
>>
>> Respectfully, I don't agree. I've purchased an "original clone" :-P of
>> the X100P card, on the long period they almost always have some
>> drawbacks... Faxing have been troubling for me. Don't know if it was for
>> the line or else, but with a Digium card I had no problem at all.
>> No sponsoring in here, ok, but certified hardware works better,
>> therefore it's a better investment, I think.
>>

>I'm just offering my experiences. I have had no problems with my x100p
>card since using the oslec canceller.
>
>There's a big difference between $300 and $34 for one analogue line on a
>home phone.
>
>Of course YMMV ;-)

If you use traditional PC hardware (ie with an available PCI slot) then
you can use the TDM 4xx card from Digium. I had a TDM400p and it worked
well enough, much better than the X101p.

If you choose embedded hardware (Soekris, Alix, WRAP, etc) then you may
not be able to add a PCI card. The external interffaces are necessary,
like the Linksys SPA-2000/3000 series. These also work fairly well.
They have the advantage of not requiring Zaptel.

Nothing about your installation suggests that a traditional PC would be
beneficial. In fact, "Beefy" would just me more power, heat & noise.
Someone recently told me that the Alix 3C systems are $150 complete
from www.mini-box.com. That would seem like a bargain, and ideal for
your circumstance.

Michael
--