[asterisk-users] Asterisk in Production

Norman Franke norman at myasd.com
Tue May 6 10:03:14 CDT 2008

On May 6, 2008, at 10:20 AM, asterisk-users-request at lists.digium.com
wrote:

> I'm wondering what version of asterisk people use in production
> environnement ?
> on which distribution ?
>
> And what is your setup like ?
>
> We are actually running an AsteriskNow appliance with asterisk
> 1.4.18.1
> and it's quite unstable.

I'm running 1.4.19 and it has been pretty stable. Anything before
1.4.19, however, I found was embarrassingly unstable. I'd often get
several crashes within an hour. However, since moving to 19 things
have been better.

I don't run Queues, though, but I do run a custom derivative of
Queues that fixed some bugs and greatly enhanced its usability for us.

We do tens of thousands of calls per day (mostly inbound) running on
under Debian, although I had to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.23.11 in
order to get ztdummy to work on my HP DL380. CPU load remains rather
low. We are all SIP, no zaptel.

I used to run IAX2 between my three servers (one's a backup and for
testing, the other handles desk phones and ATAs), but found IAX2
very, very unreliable. It would hang Asterisk, crash, etc. I just
replaced it with SIP (and turned off the module) and those problems
went away.

Norman Franke
Answering Service for Directors, Inc.
www.myasd.com