[asterisk-users] Asterisk in Production ?

Matt Watson mwatson at becon.org
Tue May 6 09:44:20 CDT 2008

I'm using 1.4.18 in production on 2 boxes... one of which being a custom built desktop basically, the other being a Dell 1950 III

We are in a migration phase to the Dell box, right now the 1st box is doing nothing more than being a PSTN gateway to some FXO lines... basically waiting for numbers to be ported off the analog lines and onto the new T1 which is connected to the Dell box.

We have the 2 boxes connected by IAX2 trunk.

I had 1.4.19 and 1.4.19.1 running on the Dell box, but it started giving me a lot of trouble with the IAX2 trunk, the trunk would (seemingly) go into UNREACHABLE status and never come back without restarting asterisk (reload, or iax2 reload wouldn’t cut it).  Also, occasionally people trying to make outbound calls (and this probably happened on inbound as well), would get a "all circuits are busy" message because of the IAX2 channel driver reporting congestion on the trunk even though it was up (and not congested)....

Unfortunately as this is a production box I didn’t really have time to try and debug it so I simply downgraded to .18 since it has proven itself well on the 1st box.  So far since I;ve downgraded to .18 I haven’t had any problems.

Both installs I have running ontop of Gentoo (wouldn’t recommend it if you are new to Linux or don’t like tweak-ability).

That all being said, I'll probably give .20 a try when its released, as I see there have been some IAX2 bug fixes in it... but also by the time .20 is released I probably will have retired the box being used as a PSTN gateway and won’t need the IAX2 trunk anymore.

--
Matt