[asterisk-users] Asterisk in Production ?

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Tue May 6 06:58:39 CDT 2008

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 7:38 AM, Benoit Plessis <benoit at plessis.info> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  I'm wondering what version of asterisk people use in production
>  environnement ?
>  on which distribution ?
>
>  And what is your setup like ?
>
>  We are actually running an AsteriskNow appliance with asterisk 1.4.18.1
>  and it's quite unstable.
>  We have ~30 IAX2 SoftPhones and encounter some "Avoiding IAX destroy
>  deadlock"
>  and now that we have added a Queue, it's worse than ever. The queue goes
>  stuck quite often
>  (agent are stuck in 'In use' state and if they logoff they can't log-in
>  till an asterisk restart).
>

>  regards

I am personally a proponent of Asterisk 1.2.X as I see more and more
fatal bugs in the 1.4.X code come up on the lists as well as IAX2
bugs.  I constantly hear "Asterisk 1.4.whatever is much better, but
the bugs coming out are not just unexpected behavior that one could
live with, they are segfaults, system crashes, modules not getting
installed (Zaptel).

I use SIP since I have seen quite a few issues with IAX2 that were
solved by simply switching to SIP.

The above two yield solid systems under heavy load for me.  OS is not
so important I do not believe.  I have some running FC8 and more
running CentOS, both rock solid.  I think the general consensus on OS
is use what you are most familiar with.

While these may not be popular opinions, I still ask, what does
SwitchVox use?  What do some of the guys around here that setup large
systems use?  Is ABE even using 1.4 yet?  All I see in the ABE release
notes is 1.2 although I have heard that ABE should be running 1.4
"Very Soon" many many moons ago
http://www.digium.com/en/docs/ABE/README .  So either Digium doesn't
trust 1.4 enough to use it for ABE or the README is out of date.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro