[asterisk-users] Running Asterisk as root

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Tue May 6 03:33:18 CDT 2008

Christian wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have seen discussions on this earlier on, but just want to hear some quick thoughts.
> I am running v1.6 of Asterisk on my Ubuntu installation, I did make config to make it run at boot. Since I've got a firewall and don't have any other servers running I am not worried. I have been htinking about running Asterisk as a seperat user, but haven't done that yet.
> Everything is working fine.
> What do you think?
> Thanks,
> Christian

I'd never run a server app as root. It is just asking for trouble IMHO.

When I built asterisk on my little custom linux server I documented the
process of setting up as a non-privileged process here. Most of the
information originally came from the voip-info.org site:

http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2007/10/30/untangle-asterisk-pbx-and-file-server-all-in-one-part-7/

Hope this helps.

Al

--