[asterisk-users] Asterisk & Bluetooth

Brent Davidson brent at texascountrytitle.com
Mon May 5 14:19:24 CDT 2008

Vinícius Fontes wrote:
> Asterisk supports using bluetooth headsets as FXS devices using chan_mobile. But that scenario with repeaters I never seen before. Actually I wonder how reliable it is, since bluetooth is not the preferred technology on wireless data transmission.
> What I did implement successfully was a solution with WiFi using 3Com WX2200 Wireless Controller, Linksys WIP300 and Nokia N95 phones. The WX2200 takes care of all the roaming seamlessly, so when a user is moving during a call and gets out of reach of one access point, another one takes over without interrupting the call.
> For smaller setups there is 3Com WXR100 that supports up to 3 MAPs (Managed Access Points).
>

> AttVinícius FontesDesenvolvimentoCanall Tecnologia em Comunicações Ltda.
> ----- "Brent Davidson" <brent at texascountrytitle.com> escreveu:
>
>> A friend of mine recently told me about a phone system his office was> > considering that did not use any handsets.  Instead of a phone, each > person was issued a BlueTooth headset and several bluetooth repeaters> > were installed throughout the building.  When a call came in, it would> > be routed to the BlueTooth headset of the person being called.  All > outgoing calls were done via voice-dial.> > Apart from the voice-dial part, would there be a way to implement a > system like this using Asterisk?  I know the voice-dialing would> require > some sort of speech recognition and I'm familiar enough with that to > know how to implement it, but I'm not really familiar with how one> would > interface a direct BlueTooth interface to Asterisk.> > _______________________________________________> -- Bandwidth and Colocation Provided by http://www.api-digital.com --> > asterisk-users mailing list> To UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit:>    http://lists.digium.com/mailman/listinfo/asterisk-users

I'm very familiar with wifi and roaming and handing off to other access
points, but have never even seen a BlueTooth repeater.  I didn't even
know there was such a thing and I asked this friend of mine if he was
sure it was bluetooth and not WiFi.  He said he was positive it was
bluetooth because the demo unit used the same motorola headset he uses
with his cell phone and the company doing the demo even showed him how
to set up the system where his headset could be linked to both his cell
phone and the PBX at the same time.  I really don't know how practical
the system is but it's way up there on the "cool factor" scale.